Wednesday, February 12, 2014

AT THE HEIGHT OF THE ATLANTIC WAR...

     At the height of the Atlantic War, Admiral King, who was charged with the solemn responsibility of welding together all of our combatant sea forces, filed a progress report with the Secretary of the NAvy in which he candidly summarized U-boat activities and countermeasures.  A formidable naval officer, Ohio-born King was sixty-three years old at the outbreak of the war.  Dour, ramrod straight and a "book" man, one scarcely associates Cominch with lighter moments, and yet there were numerous occasions when this man, who had come up through submarines and naval aviation, could turn outward on a far different level from successful pursuit of the war.  One such occurred in the chaotic winter of 1943, when King, beset with problems, was the recipient of a letter from an eighth grade student who was writing a biographical sketch of the Admiral for school.  He took time off from the war to reply:


     Dear Harriet:
     I have your letter of January 6--and am interested to learn that you have to do my biography as part
     of your English work.
     As to your questions:
     I drink a little wine now and then.
     I smoke about one pack of cigarettes a day.
     I think I like Spencer Tracy as well as any of the movie stars.
     My hobby is cross-word puzzles--when they are different.
     My favorite sport is golf--when I can get to play it--otherwise I am fond of walking.
     Hoping that all will go with your English work, I am
                                                                                 Very truly yours,
                                                                                 E. J. King
                                                                                 Admiral U.S. Navy

Let us return to King's report.

--S.E. Smith
From: The United States Navy in World War II
Preface to Part II: Chapter 6:  Cominch Takes a Hard Look at the U-Boat Situation

No comments:

Post a Comment